We’re now taking submissions for our 2019 publishing calendar.
Keep reading for more information. (Tip: Read it all. You don’t want to face automatic rejection because you didn’t.)
First off, and this is very important: We do not accept any submissions containing erotic content. There is a fine line between sexy and erotic content. We define sexy as teasing and perhaps sensual but knowing when to shut the door on the scene. Erotic content describes body parts in fine and often slang-laden detail, their actions, and invites other in to watch. Sexy is fine. Erotica will land your submission email straight in the trash without further response.
But, wait, but my story’s erotica is different, they’re really in love, it’s the next 50 Shades of Grey, and– no. We are not interested in seeing erotic content for any reason.
Also, while we’re at it, don’t submit material that negatively stereotypes the Appalachian people. We’re a unique blend of traditions, faiths, and ethnicities, and not what’s been shown so recklessly online and by popular media. Please think hard about this before you submit because if your story negatively stereotypes Appalachia and/or its people, we’ll certainly let you know about it, and probably not in a friendly manner. You will also be blacklisted from submitting to Mountain Gap Books ever again. Not certain what constitutes an Appalachian stereotype? Look up Deliverance or The Beverly Hillbillies.
Other MGB taboos include – gratuitous violence, child abuse, rape for titillation, dubious sex, sexism… you know, the basic no-nos of a stable society. This includes conservative religious stories as well.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted as long as you notify us that you’re doing so. But we also expect you to let us know if you’ve been accepted elsewhere. Thanks.
We do not, at this time, accept reprints.
Our contract is generous. 10% of net print sales (if produced in print). 35% of net ebook sales (if produced in ebook format), and a three-year exclusive first rights contract. Also, while we’d certainly like to see your next work if you’ve published with us, you will be under no obligation to send it our direction.
Here’s what we are looking for:
Appalachian authors – this is a wide area both geographically and by definition. “Most broadly, it refers to the entire mountain range with its surrounding hills and the dissected plateau region,” (ala Wikipedia) and we agree. Furthermore, if you were born and raised in Appalachia or currently call Appalachia home, then you qualify to submit to Mountain Gap Books. This does not mean, however, that your story needs to be set in Appalachia. Actually, we’re looking for diverse stories from Appalachian authors, not just stories set in Appalachia. We don’t care who you are, your history, if you’ve published or not, your faith, whether you’re a POC or not, if you’re LGBT+, alien, a mountain spirit, or what have you— if you were born or currently reside in Appalachia, you can submit as long your work fits our guidelines.
We’re specifically looking for submissions in the following areas:
- Adult Fiction to include general, Suspense, Thriller, Humor, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Crime, Thriller, Action, Romance, Women’s, and Realistic genres (no Dystopian novels, please)
- YA and New Adult fiction to include general, Suspense, Thriller, Humor, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Crime, Thriller, Action, Romance, Women’s, and Realistic genres (no Dystopian novels, please)
- Children’s fiction/ nonfiction – must include both interior illustrations and text (see expectations under submission guidelines)
- You may query about adult nonfiction, but, unless it’s something new and different, chances are we won’t accept.
We are not, at this time, considering anthologies, short stories, novellas, novelettes, memoir, adult biography, adult autobiography, or single poem submissions. If and when we’re ready for such submissions, we’ll post a call.
When we are accepting submissions, our response time is 60-90 days. After that, feel free to inquire at publisher @mountaingapbooks. com
Please submit a cover letter in the body of your email. Attach the entire manuscript of your Adult, YA, or New Adult manuscript, ten poems for poetry, the entire manuscript as detailed in formatting for children’s books, as an attached file in DOCX, or RTF format. The submissions email address is publisher @mountaingapbooks. com
Your cover letter should include the following: Your ties to Appalachia, your publication history (if any), and a brief, one-two paragraph overview of your submission (this is often called a blurb). Remember to include your contact information and any required attachments as detailed below.
And by all means, proofread your cover letter!
We only accept submissions via email at the following address
publisher @mountaingapbooks. com (please reassemble this for the actual address)
Please note: submissions that do not follow these basic guidelines will be deleted without any response.
How to format your submission email
- In the subject line put the following (individualized as needed) SUBMISSION Last Name First Name Manuscript Title
- The body of the email should contain your cover letter with the required info
- Remember your attachment(s) should be in MSWord or RTF format.
Adult, YA, and New Adult fiction submission files should be formatted as follows:
- Lucinda Bright size 14 font (our submissions editor is low vision) with no changes in font throughout the manuscript
- Double-spaced text (set in the word processor, not done manually)
- Black text
- There should be a page break at the end of each chapter and after the title page
- 1-inch margins on each side.
- Five space indents at the beginning of each paragraph with a hard return at the end of each paragraph (do not use tab indents)
- one space between each sentence
- scene breaks inside chapters should be marked by a *** centered on the line that separates each scene
- On the title page of the submission, the author’s name and contact information including full name, pen name (if applicable), contact information including email address and word count should appear in the top left corner in that order.
- The manuscript should include the Author’s last name, the title of the manuscript, and the page number in the header – all set to the right
- No images should be included with an Adult, YA, or New Adult fiction submission
Children’s book submissions should be formatted as follows. (note: one book will require a cover letter and two separate files for proper submission)
- The text should be in one file following the adult, YA, and New Adult fiction guidelines. No images should be included in this file. This should be submitted in DOCX or RTF format.
- A copy of the book’s proposed interior layout including illustrations, in PDF format should be submitted (please note: we do not provide illustrators so you must provide an illustrator or a designer who knows how to properly work with images including copyrighted images. All image submissions will be carefully scrutinized for their source and availability). We will work with you concerning cover design if you are accepted for publication.
- Do not include image attachments with your email submission. They will be asked for if the book is accepted for publication. When asked for the images should be in PNG format, though we might be able to work with JPG images as well. All images must be at least 300 DPI.
Thank you for your interest in Mountain Gap Books.